Bad Weather Plan
In the light of bad weather which forced the school to close in the past, and with the possibility that severe weather may occur, we have followed the advice we have been given and written an advanced BAD WEATHER PLAN. We hope this is clear and allows you to make appropriate arrangements in advance, rather than having to make hasty last minute plans.
In the event that we are struck by severe weather:
- The message “Today is a snow day, please follow the bad weather plan” will be placed on the school answerphone (option 3 – Daily information) and website by 8.00am.
- School will not open until 10.30am and will close at 3.20pm. Please do not bring your child to school before 10.30am.
- There will be no breakfast or after-school club.
- In the interest of safety we ask that ALL PUPILS, STAFF and PARENTS come to school by foot, reducing the risk of car accidents.
- ALL PUPILS, STAFF and PARENTS will enter the school site through the large blue gates and move straight across the zebra crossing entering the school through the main office doors.
- No outdoor play will take place before, during or after school, unless staff considers it safe.
- Lunch will only be provided for pupils entitled to Free School Meals. All other pupils will require a packed lunch.
- Pupils should wear clothing that is suitable for them to journey to and from school safely in bad weather; uniform will not have to be worn.
- We will provide a curriculum that matches the number of staff we have available.
- In the event that the school MUST close due to lack of heating or amenities a message will be placed on the answerphone and website by 9.30am.
- Devon County Council, Radio Devon, Palm FM and Heart FM will be made aware of a school closure.
In the event that we feel the need to close the school during the day in order to ensure the children and staff are able to return home safely, the office will contact you by text or phone to ask you to collect your child/children as soon as possible and safely can.
IN ALL CASES, IF YOU JUDGE IT TO BE UNSAFE TO JOURNEY TO SCHOOL, PLEASE REMAIN AT HOME.
We recognise that this plan may mean parents’ later arrival at work or early departure from work, but we believe it will minimise the need for school closure.