Sports Premium Funding 2015/16
What is the Sports Premium?
The Government is providing additional funding to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools.
The money is provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport. It is allocated to primary school headteachers. It can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
What is the purpose of the grant?
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding might be:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE.
- Supporting and engaging the least active children through new or additional clubs.
- Paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport.
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE and sport.
- Running sport competitions and increasing pupils participation in School games.
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE and sport.
- Providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs.
- Pooling the additional funding with that of other local schools.
At Gatehouse ACE Academy we aim to provide high quality physical education for all children, delivered by confident members of staff who are committed to engaging pupils and developing their skills in this area of the curriculum. Furthermore, we want to provide all children with the opportunity to engage in competitive sporting activities, by entering a wide range of inter-school competitions. By delivering these opportunities for all our pupils, we aim to have a positive impact on their physical literacy, all round health and confidence, while fostering a love of physical activity, which they will carry forward as they move through life.
What was the grant was spent on in 2015/16?
The 2015/16 grant of £9600 contributed towards:
- The salary of a Fitness Coach.
- A range of afterschool clubs for children throughout the school.
- A range of sport competitions and increasing pupils’ participation in School games.
- Enabling Gatehouse to work alongside other schools within the DLP encouraging sportsmanship, competition and teamwork.
- Gifted and Talented sessions for pupils.
- The cost of swimming lessons for all children in Year 5.
What was the impact of the grant?
- 150 children were involved in sports clubs last year.
- We offered 21 different sporting events over the year which involved 57 different children.
- Year 5 swimming was a success in the Summer term.
- Consistent use of Sports coach throughout the school improved all children’s skills and provided CPD for staff..
- Increased participation in after school clubs. In summer 2013 60 children were involved in clubs, in summer 2016 141 children were involved in sports clubs - 12% of the children in clubs this year were pupil premium.
- Increased participation in events & fixtures - 10% of children involved were pupil premium children
- Gifted and talented PE sessions for KS2
What do we intend to spend the 2016/17 grant on?
- Contribute towards the salary of Fitness Coach, ensuring high quality PE sessions for pupils, CPD for staff and the development of Sports Leaders.
- To encourage positive, active play at lunchtimes and provide children with a range of active games they can subsequently play independently.
- Working alongside other schools within the DLP encouraging sportsmanship, competition and teamwork.
- Offering Gifted and Talented sessions to pupils.
- Offering a range of afterschool clubs for children throughout the school.
- Offering a range of sport competitions and increasing pupils’ participation in School games.
- Contribute towards the cost of swimming lessons for all children in Year 5.
How will we monitor and measure the impact of the grant?
- Developing and reviewing a strong curriculum map to ensure coverage and progression.
- Improving staff skills in teaching PE across the school with a view of developing a high quality provision for physical activities.
- Continue to broaden the range of sports children experience.
- Continue to provide an extensive range of enrichment after school and sport activities and measure participation levels.
- Continue to enter a broader range of sport competition and measure participation levels and outcomes.
- Provide all pupils with the opportunity to engage in physical activity at lunch/break times.
- Ensure the children have a range of extra-curricular activities throughout the year.
- Tracking pupil’s progress in PE across the school using clearly targeted assessment and monitoring practices.
- Ensuring G and T pupils are challenged and developed.
What PE & Sport provision is available at Gatehouse ACE Academy?
Enrichment provision for PE and sport Competitions, Curriculum PE and Sport activities
Over the school year, a selection of the following is available:
- Multi skills
- Tag rugby