School Nursing Service
14th September 2015
The School Nursing service across Devon is required to make sure all children and young people in Devon’s maintained schools, colleges and academies have access to a School Nurse 52 weeks a year, (not just when schools are open) to provide information and support to all school aged children.
We will be working in partnership with schools to support the schools in the development of health policies that impact on all children and young people. Complimenting any taught health related classroom based programmes being delivered.
We will be working in partnership with schools to:
- Support the development of health policies that impact on children and young people.
- Complement health related classroom based programmes.
- Support children and young people with medical conditions, to ensure they access the whole curriculum and are not disadvantaged.
- Ensure that school Staff have the information they need to support children with health concerns.
- Provide drop in sessions in arrangement with secondary schools
- We aim to start running sessions in the community for all school aged children.
The School Nurse normally works from 09:00 until 17:00 however we will do our best to make ourselves available to you outside of these hours. We provide drop in sessions in secondary schools in arrangement with schools, colleges and academies and will be starting to run sessions in the community for all school aged children (and their parents).
You can contact your local School Nurse team based at Teignmouth hospital, Helena Riggs SN, Ellen Canniford Community Health Worker with the SN team, Sheila Robinson, Admin Support by ringing 01626 771128.
Should you have any questions or concerns regarding your child’s health and how they can be supported in school please contact your School Nurse.
From September 2015 we will not be routinely testing reception hearing. Should you have any concern regarding your child’s hearing at any time please contact the School Nurse, class Teacher or your GP for further guidance / assessment.
If you have recently moved in from abroad and want to check if your child requires a BCG vaccination please contact the School Nurse for further information. All children under the age of 16 are eligible for free vision checks and dental care. Please ensure that your child has an annual check up at the opticians and the dentist.