What is Accelerated Reader?
Accelerated Reader is a powerful tool for monitoring and managing independent reading while promoting reading for pleasure. It is designed to encourage independent reading at a child's own level and pace.
Your child picks a book at his/her own level and reads it at his/her own pace. When finished, your child takes a short quiz on the computer - passing the quiz is an indication that your child has understood what has been read. AR gives both children and teachers feedback based on the quiz results which the teacher then uses to help the child set targets and ongoing reading practice.
Children take a short Star Reader Test at regular intervals throughout the year which determines their ZPD level and measures their progress from term to term. Class teachers and librarians are able to assist children in finding a suitable book at their ZPD level.
We have relaunched Accelerated Reader this year to include many incentive rewards for passing quizzes and to encourage children to read more.
- Bookworms Chart: Each time a child passes a quiz at 85% or more, they can move their bookworm up the chart.
- Certificates: Bronze, Silver and Gold certificates can be earned after passing 10, 20 & 30 quizzes at 85%.
- 100% Club: If children pass a quiz with 100% they earn a 100% Ticket. Each half term a draw will be held where children have the opportunity to win a prize if their ticket is drawn.
Children will become part of the 100% Club after passing 5 quizzes at 100% and will have their name on the Accelerated Reader Celebration Board in the Library. When a child has read a total of one million words, they will also appear on the board as a Word Millionaire.
We want children to enjoy reading and so we have invested time and effort in reorganising the library and our reading books in order to promote reading for pleasure as well as to facilitate this reading program.
MyMaths is an interactive online teaching and homework resource for all the UK National Curricula. It has been written and developed by experienced teachers for teaching, practising and assessing children’s maths fluency across the school. Each interactive lesson is matched with corresponding online homework to easily allocate homework, which helps teachers assess the impact of each lesson.
- Develops children’s skills, confidence and fluency in maths through lessons, homework tasks, and games
- Perfect for the whole school, plus Booster Packs provide stretching material for extra revision and consolidation
- Access for parents to review their child’s progress, embedding the link between school and home
- Automatic self-marking of all activities provides detailed results tracking with the Assessment Manager
- Easy to use alongside any other maths resource