At Gatehouse Primary Academy we teach the children to take pride in their work through their presentation and handwriting.
Progression in Handwriting skills:
- To sit correctly at a table and use a comfortable and efficient pencil grip.
- To write from left to right.
- To write letters with the correct sequence of movements.
-To begin to form letters of regular size and shape.
-To put regular spaces between letters and words.
-To form lower case letters of the correct size relative to one another.
-To practise writing on lines with descenders and ascenders correctly placed.
-To form capital letters correctly.
- To form digits 0-9 correctly.
- To understand which letters belong to which handwriting ‘families’ (i.e. letters that are formed in similar ways) and to practise these.
-To develop a pre-cursive handwriting style.
-To develop a cursive handwriting style.
- To build up handwriting speed, fluency and legibility through practice.
- To transfer writing skills from pencil to pen (if pen licence is earnt).
-To write legibly and fluently in a sustained piece of writing.