The First Federation Trust
x2 Governance Volunteer Vacancies
Gatehouse Primary Academy
Parent council members are an important link between the board of directors and each school within the Trust. They have a valued role within the Trust governance to help the board of directors fulfil their core duties:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding the Chief Executive Officer and senior leaders to account for the educational performance of the Trust schools and their pupils; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the Trust and making sure its money is well spent.
Each parent council member is a member of the governance hub advisory board for their school. They are normally linked to another school within the Trust and visit their school and their linked school termly, although this is being reviewed because of Covid-19 restrictions.
More information about the role is available overleaf. More information about the governance structure of the First Federation can be found on the Trust website:
You do not need to be an expert in the field of education for this role. What you do need is an interest in children’s education, the First Federation and very importantly the time and willingness to get involved. Training and support will be provided.
If you are interested in the role, please let the school office know by Friday 8th January 2021.
You will be contacted after that date to discuss the role in more details.
What are First Federation Trust Parent Council Members?
Parent council members represent the voice of a parent (i.e. a ‘typical’ parent) not the voice of the parents. Their primary expertise is as a parent and their role is to support and challenge all the schools in the First Federation Trust to improve outcomes for children. As a parent at an individual school within the Trust they will have a good working knowledge of that school through their child’s education and their interaction with the school. We link each parent council member to another school within the Trust.
In practice, what will I be expected to do? (This is being reviewed due to covid-19 restrictions)
The Trust parent council member will:
- Visit their own school and linked school once a term for 2 hours during the school day, together with their paired parent council member. The visit will include:
- Taking part in a learning walk with a member of the school leadership focusing on the First Federation Trust internal consistencies
- Focussing on an aspect of school improvement
- Talking to staff and children
- Receiving an update on events to promote parental engagement and links with the local community
- After each visit, send a report, using the agreed template, to the hub clerk within 10 working days of the visit.
- Attend the Governance Hub advisory board meetings (currently five a year)
- Attend training as necessary.
What does the role offer?
- A chance to develop your own personal skills
- Access to free training in respect of education and governance matters
- A sense of achievement in helping to make a difference to children’s education
Are you looking for people with particular skills?
We would be delighted to hear from anyone who:
- Is interested in children’s education and the performance of a group of schools
- Has an enquiring mind, and has the confidence to ask questions and debate issues that have an impact on the quality of education we provide
- Can consider matters strategically, objectively and make informed judgements
- Has an enthusiastic and proactive attitude
- Is able to work well as part of a team