Teaching Basic First Aid Skills
Learning first aid is an invaluable life-skill. It helps children become more risk aware and equips them with skills to keep themselves safe and help themselves or others if involved in a medical emergency. It could save their life.
First aid training is part of the PSHE curriculum. In light of this we have organised for a qualified paediatric nurse and resuscitation instructor to work in each of our units in the Spring term 2022 (more details to follow nearer the time).
The best way to teach first aid is hands-on. Children love the practical nature of this subject and the school has planned to cover the following basic first aid skills which will be age appropriate.
- What is first aid?
- How do we know if someone is injured or not well
- Where to locate adult first aiders, first aid supplies, equipment etc
- Opening the first aid box and exploring its content
- Calling for help
- Approaching safely
- Basic dressings
- Basic medications
- Treatment of stings, cuts/grazes, nose bleeds, headaches, head injuries, sprains, broken bones, vomiting, eye, burns/scalds, allergies,
- If someone is unconscious
- Calling 999