Early reading in EYFS
We have adopted a comprehensive and consistent approach to the teaching of Early reading. We believe that reading is a valuable and rewarding experience, laying a firm foundation for the child’s future. It is a crucial area which will allow children to access all areas of the curriculum successfully.
Reading for Pleasure
Reading aloud to children is the best way to get them interested in reading. Before long they will grow to love stories and books. Eventually they will want to read on their own. With the help of parents, children can learn how to read and can practise reading until they can read for their own enjoyment. Then they will have a whole world of information and knowledge at their fingertips! Reading can be a family activity. Spending time with word games, stories, and books will help your child to:
- gather information and learn about the world;
- learn how stories and books work – that they have beginnings, endings, characters, and themes;
- build a rich vocabulary by reading and talking about new words;
- learn how to listen and how to think;
- learn the sounds of language and language patterns;
- fall in love with books.
We have created a top 100 books to read in EYFS document to help you pick books that your child will enjoy reading.